Monday, February 13, 2012

Rainbow Henna Hair Color Review


Henna hair color has been something I have wanted to try for awhile and especially after reading the warnings inside regular hair dyes.  Henna hair color is not very easy to find and I had always heard in the past that it tends to turn hair red, so after doing some research I decided to go with the Rainbow Henna Hair Color.  The company has been around since 1976 and specializes in henna hair color.  They use only 100% organic henna with other plant bases to affect the tone that will show up on your hair.  I purchased this product online from a health company called www.imedmart.com which carries health supplements and other health products.  I purchased the product for $4.15 and shipping was $3.99.  That is comparable to buying a box of hair dye off the shelf.  The product arrived in just a few days. 



I was still a little apprehensive about trying the product, but planned on following the instructions exactly.  I chose the Persian Medium Brown which seems to be the closest to my hair color.  The product arrives as a powder and gives good instructions for mixing the product.  The basic instructions are just to mix the powder with 1 cup of boiling water and then apply.  They also list other products to add to enhance the color and results.  



For my color, they suggest to add 1 cup of brewed coffee to help tone down red tones.  They give a tip of adding 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to help the color adhere to grey hairs, of which I unfortunately do have some. They also suggest adding 2-4 tbsp of olive oil to help condition hair and to help with the rinsing process. 

I combined all the ingredients into one giant jar and got a very thick, dark green paste with an odd plant based smell.  At this point, I debated whether I wanted to try this, but figured that this is not permanent and will fade.  The product is very thick to apply and is messy.  




 Once I got it through my hair, I put a shower cap over the top and let it sit.  It is suggested to leave the product on for 60-75 minutes.  I was afraid the product would be very hard to get out of my hair as it was so thick, but was pleasantly surprised that it washed out quite easily in the shower and after a regular shampoo and conditioner it was completely out.  

Despite the messy application and odd smell, I was very pleased with the color.  It really enhanced my medium brown color.  It covered the grey hair decently and also some of the leftover highlights I had gotten last summer.  It left my hair so soft and smooth.  This is supposed to last around 4 weeks so we’ll see how it holds up.

Here is the before and after pictures of the color. 


 Before:
After:

Pros:  Good price, all natural ingredients, color as promised, decently covers grey hair, leaves hair soft and smooth

Cons:  very messy to apply, long processing time, odd smell

I would definitely use henna again, but would next time mix half of the powder and try to make it a little more liquid.  If I could apply it from a regular hair color bottle I think it would be a lot less messy.  I loved the results.  They don’t suggest doing major hair color changes with henna, but if you are looking for just an enhancement of your real color, the product is great.

1 comment:

  1. For medium term coloration of hair a semi-permanent black dye is the solution of choice. This type of dye may last in the hair for 5 to 10 shampoos before a retreatment is required as the dye fades. These dyes are popular for those who need to dye their hair at home without professional assistance, but they are a little limited as to the extent of color change they can effect.



    Henna for Hair Color

    ReplyDelete