Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Dark Side of Conventional Hair Dyes


Many people use conventional hair dyes and probably do not think twice about it.  I know I was one of those people.  I usually just scan through the information packet and really just want to know how to mix the product and how long it should sit on my hair.  I genuinely knew the product was not great for you, the chemical smell alone proves that, but I actually took a moment to sit down and read the insert information and I actually got a little scared after really reading it. 

I did not buy some unknown brand.  This is from the Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Color Blend Foam.  Under the important safety instructions it reads:

Do not use this product if you have experienced any reaction to hair color products, or have sensitive, irritated or damaged scalp.  In these cases consult a doctor before using any hair color product.

There are also tips on what to do if you have a reaction to the product during and within 48 hours of coloring your hair.

If during coloring you experience any stinging, burning or rash, discontinue use as this may be an indication of a more serious reaction.  Do not color your hair again before consulting a doctor.

Any rapidly spreading skin rash, dizziness or faintness, shortness of breath or swelling to eyes/face, rinse immediately and seek immediate medical attention.

If after coloring or on the following days you experience problems, such as itching, rash, swelling to eyes/face, blistering or skin/scalp weeping, seek immediate medical attention. 

I am not trying to scare anyone away from coloring their hair as I have colored my hair regularly over the years and have not had any side effects, but after carefully reading the insert, I am going to take a break from coloring and see if I can find out more about what is actually in hair dyes and try other natural alternatives.  I’ll pass along what I find out.

1 comment:

  1. Of course, you know I have been coloring my hair for many years as well. (in fact, I just recently used that foaming color a few weeks ago, and my hair STILL smells like the weird, chocolate-y scent when I wash it.) I really do hate the ammonia, and wish they would work harder to come up with something that isn't do harsh but still does a good job. They do make hair color that is ammonia-free, but the color spectrum and lift capabilities are limited without the ammonia. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete